How to find my purpose?
Finding your purpose can be a deeply personal and introspective process. Here are some steps to help you discover your purpose:
- Reflect on what you value: Consider what truly matters to you in life. Think about your relationships, the people you care about, the causes you are passionate about, and the activities that bring you joy and fulfilment.
- Identify who relies on you: Recognize the people in your life who depend on you, such as family, friends, or pets. Their presence and reliance can contribute to shaping your sense of purpose.
- Seek inspiration: Think about the individuals who inspire you, whether they are historical figures, public figures, or people close to you. Consider the qualities or actions that inspire you and incorporate them into your purpose.
- Care about causes: Reflect on the causes or issues that deeply resonate with you. It could be related to politics, the environment, social justice, or any other area where you feel a strong connection. Consider how you can contribute to those causes.
- Practice gratitude: Acknowledge the things and people you are grateful for in your life. Gratitude can provide valuable insights into what you cherish and what brings you a sense of fulfilment.
- Find what motivates you: Pay attention to the things that ignite your passion and enthusiasm. What drives you to take action or make a difference? Identify what gets you out of bed in the morning and fuels your motivation.
- Consider your legacy: Reflect on how you want to be remembered in the world. What impact do you want to have on others? How do you want to contribute to society? Defining the legacy you want to leave behind can help shape your purpose.
While the responses to these questions will vary greatly, some common themes that may emerge include the importance of relationships (family, friends), the desire to make a positive impact (causes, community), personal growth and fulfilment (passions, goals), and the value of gratitude and appreciation for life’s blessings. These themes often reflect fundamental aspects of human connection, purpose, and well-being.
Remember, your purpose can evolve and change over time as you gain new experiences and insights. It’s essential to regularly reassess and adjust your purpose as you grow and navigate different stages of life. Be open to exploration, self-reflection, and the discovery of what truly resonates with you.
(Lim Sia Hoe)